|Serves 10 to 12
* 3/4 cup fresh breadcrumbs
* 6 tablespoons whole milk
* 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
* 2 medium onions, finely chopped
* 6 cloves garlic, finely chopped
* 1 1/2 pounds ground veal
* 1 1/2 pounds ground pork
* 3 large, whole eggs, lightly beaten
* 3 large egg yolks, lightly beaten
* 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
* 3 tablespoons finely chopped fresh oregano
* 1 1/2 cups freshly grated Parmesan cheese
* Coarse salt and freshly ground pepper
* Dried breadcrumbs, for work surface
* Olive oil, for frying
1. Place breadcrumbs in a small bowl. Drizzle the milk over and let
stand until absorbed.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add
the onion and garlic; cook until translucent, about 3 minutes. Set
3. Place the ground meats in a large bowl. Add breadcrumb mixture to
meats along with the reserved onion and garlic, whole eggs, yolks,
parsley, oregano, and cheese. Season with salt and pepper. Using your
hands, mix until just combined.
4. Sprinkle breadcrumbs over work surface. Roll 3/4 cup meatball
mixture into a thin strip, about 12 inches long; repeat 3 more times.
Line strips next to one another; sprinkle with breadcrumbs. Cut strips
into 1-inch lengths. Repeat process with remaining meat mixture.
5. Working in batches, transfer 1-inch pieces to a large sieve;
sprinkle lightly with breadcrumbs to prevent sticking. Toss until
pieces become round and form meatballs.
6. Lightly coat the bottom of a large skillet with olive oil; set over
medium-high heat. Working in batches, cook meatballs until browned and
cooked through, 1 to 2 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined baking
sheet to drain. Repeat with additional oil and remaining meatballs.